Social media, also called new media, is a set of tools that allow you direct access to communities of existing and potential clients, members, attendees, exhibitors and sponsors. There are social media applications such as blogs and podcasts and also social media websites.
Currently, social media sites can be divided into subsets by the service they provide and / or function they perform. They are:
- Social networking sites (MySpace, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Twitter)
- Photo and video sites (Flickr, Photobucket, YouTube, Google Video)
- Social Bookmarking (Del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, Ma.gnolia, Furl)
- News aggregators (Digg, Mixx, Reddit, Newsvine)
- Other (Second Life, Ning, Squidoo)
This book will explore the world of social networking, probably the most popular of all the social media. Social networking sites allow members to connect with others in varying degrees.